In 1985, members of the West Side Nut Club renewed an old Evansville custom from the
Rules and Regulations
1. Anyone who desires to exhibit a Lighthouse in the parade on the day of the parade may enter.
2. Participants may enter by reporting to the Old National Bank Drive-In Teller area at 2119 W. Michigan Street,
which is between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues, between 6:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. on the day of the parade.
Late arrivals may be exhibited but will NOT be eligible for an award or cap. Parents and other relatives are
requested not to congest the judging area.
JUDGING & AWARDS
1. Judging will begin promptly at 6:30 p.m. The parade line of march begins at 7:00 p.m. and will disband in the
parking lot of the Pet Food Center store at 2334 W. Franklin Street (corner of St. Joseph and W. Franklin
2. Judges will determine twenty (20) winners. Each winner will receive $20 and a trophy. Names of the winners
will be announced from the Festival Stage on Franklin Street during the parade.
3. Winners may participate in the Main Parade on Saturday, October 10th by riding on the LIGHTHOUSE PARADE
FLOAT. Lighthouses will not be displayed on the float.
1. Lighthouses will be judged on originality, creativity, overall design and layout.
2. The lighthouse must be exhibited during the calendar year in which it was built.
3. There are no limitations as to theme, size or materials used. (The participant may use any kind of material,
decorations or ornamentation he or she wishes. The lighthouse can be any size the participant desires, but
we ask that it not be too large).
4. Openings or designs should be covered with clear or colored transparent paper or plastic to give the design
openings a colorful effect when a light is placed behind them. The lighthouse must be lighted by batterypowered
light. Lighted systems must be installed in a safe and secure manner. Each entrant is responsible
for the safety of the lighthouse as well as him or herself.
5. The lighthouse will be pulled by a securely mounted strap, rope or handle along the parade route. The lighthouse
may be mounted on wheels such as a wagon so as to be more visible to the viewing public. The individual
enterIng the project shall supply the effort of movement. The entrant must walk at a reasonable pace
while pulling the lighthouse, so that the parade will proceed properly.
6. Should a breakdown occur, the entrant will step out of the line temporarily, so as not to hold up the other entrants.
A Nut Club member will assist in making temporary repairs, permitting the entrant to re-enter the line
Parents or friends of young entrants may accompany them down the parade route. The parade will proceed
through the Old National Bank parking lot on to the west bound lane of Franklin Street, west to Eleventh Avenue,
crossing over to the east bound lane, continuing west to the parking lot of the Pet Food Center, at which
point the parade will disband. Parents should meet the winners behind the Main Platform at Twelfth Avenue
and Franklin. All other participants can be met in the area between Twelfth Avenue and St. Joseph Avenue on
the south side of Franklin Street (area fronting Pet Food Center). In the event of threatening or questionable
weather, WIKY radio will announce over the air beginning at 4:00 p.m. on the day of the parade, where the exhibitors
are to meet for judging.